We’ll do the math for you. It’s pretty cool.
Consider the following scenario:
- Let’s say your band has 4 members.
- You average 9 shows per month.
- Ticket donations at these shows average 50 people at $20/person.
- And you sell, on average, $200 worth of merch per show.
- Each show grosses a total of $1200.
- The host or other fans provides dinner and lodging each night.
You average 250 miles of driving per city at 25mpg and $3.50/gallon.
Each band member gets a $25 per diem for breakfast, lunch, and coffee.
Closeup.fm charge a 10% fee to cover costs.
You actually don’t need 5,400 super fans at 108 shows. You need only 1,080 real fans, or 10-12 real fans in each city.
If each of these fans brings 4 friends, you have a sold-out show with 50 people.
So how much would you make?
$104,220 in one year divided among your band members. Not bad, right?
Oh, and now your real fan base has potentially grown from 1,080 to 5,400. And the more shows you play, the more money you make.